Sunday, July 29, 2007

Catch-up #3: Harajuku w/ Esther

This day wasy special. I met up with Esther in Shinjuku and took her and her sister to Harajuku. ^_^

For those who don't know, Esther is a friend I met in Taiwan during the Formosa Study Tour (a.k.a. the Loveboat) in 2005. Loveboat was a memorable month of touring and friend-making, but sadly, since I live in the backwater state of Ohio (not really backwater, but hey, all Asians are from California), I never got to see any of the people I made friends with afterwards. So it's been 2 years since I last saw or heard from her. Randomnly, I got a Facebook message saying "hey, I'm coming to Japan" so we took advantage of the chance and met up.

Unfortunately for her, she came during the typhoon (also the reason why I didn't go anywhere that weekend myself), so there wasn't much for her to do. So her family mistakeningly went to Akihabara and Ikebukuro. I say mistakenly b/c while these places are tourist attractions, you already know what I found in Akihabara. And they had a 5-yr-old son with them.

So, given the time limit (I met up with her at 9:00AM and she had to leave at 12:00PM to get to her plane to leave), I did the best thing I could and took her and her sister to Harajuku to shop and to admire the youth life and interesting fashions.

It was really fun getting to hang out with her and kinda strange how normal it felt. It's been 2 years, but we talked like we had known each other the entire time. Like it wasn't weird meeting each other in another country.


Esther and I standing in front of the Harajuku Station. (Her sister is very fast with a camera....)
Oh that old lady is just in there b/c... yeah, I don't know.

Esther's sister getting water to wash her hands at a small local temple we found in the backstreets of Harajuku. Hey! At least they can say they saw a temple. ^^"

No comments: